(and yes… it’s gluten free… surprise surprise!)
We all know how crappy student living can be. Do you ever get trapped in what seems to be a never ending routine of the same meals over and over and over again. It’s fair to say I’ve been stuck in a rut recently when it comes to my eating habits; tea time especially… or dinner for you southerners. Sorry! I will forever be a supporter of the old age northern argument, it’s most definitely BREAKFAST, DINNER & TEA – and supper if you’re lucky.
Here’s an example:
- Monday: Quorn Chicken and vegetables
- Tuesday: Cod fillets and vegetables
- Wednesday: Omelette with vegetables
- Thursday: Quorn chicken with vegetables
- Friday: Cod fillets with vegetables (or maybe chips with curry sauce if I happen to be out at 2am…..) – but you get the gist.
This dish has provided me with 6 meals to mix and match over the next couple of weeks. Just make sure you have enough freezer space…… you can annoy housemates if you have to use theirs….. oops.
What you’ll need:
- 3 red peppers
- 2 aubergines
- 2 Carrots cut into sticks
- 1 onion
- I cal cooking spray
- tomato sauce – I used Loyd Grossman
- white sauce – Loyd Grossman
- 125g ball mozzarella
- handful cherry tomatoes, halved
- gluten free lasagna sheets (I used Asda’s own)
*be careful of what sauces you choose, some may contain wheat flour – if you’re not lazy like me then make your own!
- Heat oven to 200C/fan 180C/gas 6.
- Deseed the peppers, halve, then cut into large chunks. Chop the ends off aubergines, then cut into slices around ½cm thick . Chop carrots into sticks and onions into small chunks (up to you really!) and half the cherry tomatoes.
- Line 2 large baking trays with foil or grease, then place vegetables on top. Cover with the spray and season well for added flavour! Roast for 25 mins until lightly browned. I used paprika, mixed herbs, salt & pepper.
- Reduce oven to 180C/fan 160C/gas 4. Lightly oil an ovenproof serving dish. Layer some of the roasted vegetables on the bottom, then pour over a third of the tomato sauce. Top with a layer of lasagne, then drizzle over a quarter of the white sauce. Repeat until you have 3 layers of pasta!
- Pour the remaining white sauce over the top layer, making sure the whole surface is covered. Scatter mozzarella over the top. Bake for 45 mins until bubbling and golden.
- …… if you have an unhealthy desire for cheese like myself, go ahead and grate some extra cheese on top. It’s naughty, but sooooo good!
- feel free to use literally whatever vegetables you want next time! because who doesn’t love experimenting!
Lots of love!